View Single Post
Old 11-14-2023, 06:04 PM   #20
Steves46

Default Re: Car dies when I turn on the lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I hope to get back to the problem in the next few days.

The battery is a couple of years old. I will have to see when I bought it. I have no trouble starting it.

As nkaminar said, I have a fuse on the starter (how did he know that?) I will do the diagnoses from the Les Andrews book. i will also swap out the alternator with a recently redone generator to see whether it may be in the voltage regulator. The brake light switch is another possibility I will look at. On my other car, I was blowing fuses at the starter often and it turned out it was the brake light switch, which had gone bad.

Oddly enough the problem started at Hershey after I cleaned up the light switch at the bottom of the steering column when I had the car judged. I had been driving the car around Hershey at night without a problem, but on the way home after the show on Friday, the problem exhibited itself. Maybe just a coincidence.
Hello Milford. Any chance you may have tweaked something when you were cleaning the light switch? If the wiring is old, maybe there is a thin spot somewhere on the harness is shorting out from possible wire movement during the cleaning. Yes, I know it’s a long shot but from my personal experience, some of my sudden car anomalies resulted from the last thing I did. You will find the culprit in time. Best, Steve