View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Gas tank leaking

John, there are all kinds of "remedies" but the brutal fact is none of them work as well as properly opening the tank and making the proper repairs. Feel free to contact me privately and I will walk you thru the process.

To remove, drain the tank of fuel and remove the lines. The wiring and speedometer cable will need to be removed from the instrument panel and the tank tunnel, and remove the column clamp. The hood and the cowl band will need to be removed also along with the windshield filler panel. Next remove the kick panels and tank clamps, followed by the tank fasteners. There are a few other steps that I can share with you privately as not to fill the page here with words.

Personally, I have found the tank and cowl welt is really not that hard to install. While I cannot recall the exact number, it is something like 300 seconds is what Ford allotted to install the tank with the welting and fasten it down as the body was going down the assembly line. The two biggest reasons why restorers seem to have struggles in this area is that they do not cut the welting correctly, -and they use the incorrect type.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote