View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Air compressor for home shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Not enough CFMs one hit with impact and wait for pressure to build. Good for staple gun
Maybe good for air brushing. IMO 15 CFMs would be smallest I would buy
Yup. $1500 plus and you'll be set up even for light duty sandblasting.

Sorry, not to throw aspersions.

I have a sears red one - 5 hp (so they claim) and about 5.5 SCFM. DeVillbiss made these for Sears for many years. Also same compressor in the current DeWalt available today at HomeDepot. It will do any impact wrenching I want even using my 750ft-lb "SuperBertha." As for painting using my Binks No. 7 clone - its loafing. Maybe 30 percent duty cycle.

It will not sandblast. a 1/8" nozzle such as on my TIP one bagger requires a minimum of 7 SCFM. More is betterer. And nozzles wear quickly to the next size.

I would say your IR contractor compressor WILL paint - but you'll have problems with moisture. This a problem with small receiver tanks. You might try running the air through the old compressor tank (assuming you feel it's safe) simply to help remove moisture.

Or, if your old compressor isn't more than 20 years, likely you can find parts for it? The Internet is very much a help in these matters.

Replacement reed valves for the DeVillbiss/Sears are still around - but NOT at Sears. Check Amazon or even Ebay.

Joe K