View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #90
P.S.

Default Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
So, you're not going to have the yellow and yellow/black wires from the alternator to the horn and light switch on the bottom of the steering column, right?

What gauge wire will you use from the alternator to junction box/ammeter/bus?

Steve

Nope. The yellow with black tracer will only be used to feed the fuse block and go to the alternator.

The yellow wire to the horn will come from a terminal on the fuse block.

The yellow with black tracer to the lights will be re-routed, replaced with separate wires for headlights (yellow/black) and for the brake/tail lights (planning to use green wire) that will feed the light switch from the fuse block rather than from the generator lug.

The instrument panel lamp and interior light will be fed with black wires from their terminal on the fuse block.

Since I'm such a huge fan of electrical wiring overkill, the plan is to use #10 wire for almost all of it. I may even go slightly larger #8 on the feed to the fuse block.

I have already obtained the period-correct looking wire. I'm going to use some decently period correct looking wire loom to encase everything and make it look as original as possible. I have extra repro wire clips and clamps already to fasten everything to the frame, etc. and keep it from vibrating or getting in the way.

All connections and ring terminals will be soldered, no crimp type! If I have to do any inline splicing (plan is to avoid that), then the plan is to solder and heat shrink, then pull cotton cover over and wax. Should look pretty decent if anyone wanted to get nosy.

After I'm dead and gone, somebody is going to lose the schematic and dig into this car and wonder "What the heck??"

Last edited by P.S.; 09-27-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: info
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote