View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #105
Chippy Minton

Default Re: Just wondering : what's your year of birth ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
Since I was messing around with Excel I had thought to make a histogram of the data for fun. I took a graduate level statistics class in college 13 years ago as a geography grad student and used to be a pro at this stuff. Since I've been flying airplanes for a living since then I've forgotten how to do most of this stuff but after another member made the request to show more detail I decided to give it another shot.

Its interesting how you can make data tell you a completely different story depending on how its portrayed. The mean (average) birth year of the first 90 valid responses is 1952. The median is 1949. (half the responses are higher, and half responses are lower) When I grouped the responses by decade the picture showed a different story. There are a greater number of categories above the 1940's birth decade which supports the mean and median numbers but the 1940's are the most represented by a single group. If that makes any sense?

Again - Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics. Remember that when listening to politicians and fact checking.

Quite simply that's the average known as the 'mode'. It comes from the French word for fashion.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote