View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
Roger V

Default Re: My Mitchell synchro trans experience

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
What I find amazing is why anyone would throw $2,000 at a tranny with NO 1st gear synchro. Apparently they never shift into 1st while rolling? I tried a vehicle with a Mitchell for about 10 miles in city stop-go traffic. Hated it for that reason.

You are absolutely correct about their lack of fitting the assembled tower they send to the box. A few simple Go / NoGo fixtures in their shop would fix this before it went out the door.

As to the plastic (likely nylon) fork fingers, this is common on many transmissions and if you are a constant city traffic shift banger you may only get 10,000 miles out of a set. Likely will last the 1st owner's lifetime in an A.
Don't think it's amazing at all but to each his own. I really like mine as does my wife. I like it primarily due to ease of downshifting into second. Whereas with the original set-up we tended to either keep it in third lugging the engine or grind gears in second. While synchronized first is nice, we're stopped anyway and going to first. Even later than the Model A era, transmissions didn't have synchro first for quite awhile. I think we're lucky they could fit synchros for second and third within an original case.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote