View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
35fordtn

Default Re: REM coated gears

Cyro-Rem, is two processes. Cyro is the Cyrogenic treating of the gears which increases their ductile strength, which in turn reduces wear and fatigue. I usually do not have the Cyro done as it is only a 5-10% increase in base metal strength, however if a person had the $$ it would be worth while on Low Reverse sliding gears and the cluster/ or even a Lincoln gear set that has extreme torque and stress in first gear

Rem Coating is a patented technology that removes only the high spots from areas like pitting or more importantly machining marks. I primarily only use it when using NEW reproduction gears, and have used it on Rearend gears as well. I also had a camshaft done for a engine I am building for myself.

It does increase tolerances a minimal amount. In a recent batch a dial indicator showed a .0018 change from before and after. Assembling a transmission or really anything that has been Rem Coated is a real pleasure as everything assembles so much easier. I have driven only one Early Ford transmission that had reproduction lincoln gears. It was one of the best shifting Early Ford Transmissions I have driven but... I cannot say whether that was due to the Rem Coating or not.

It is expensive.. A transmission gear set is usually $200-300 depending on which company you have do the work, and a ring and pinion usually is $100-150 and other parts vary..

It is likely not a huge improvement given cost on a flathead (considering how little we drive these cars) car unless you are going for a salt flats record, but if you are using reproduction gears or if you have a little bit of Money burning a hole in your pocket it is a worthwhile investment.

I only build a couple transmissions a year, but I have built several for one customer that is ovreseas. Ever since I did one with the Rem Coating, he now insists that all his be done that way. I recently had a set done and a Ring and Pinion done for my 36 Pickup which is a long ways from being finished.

What sold me on it was comparing a NEW Melling oil pump that I had the shaft and gears done, in comparision to a NEW off the shelf same melling pump. You could really feel a huge difference. One place I had used in the past primarily only did power generating Windmill shafts and bearings for a manufacturer. They claimed the windmills lastly 15% longer before needing service on the bearings
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote