Thread: Ignition Help
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Ignition Help

You are correct !!!!!!

I have been under the impression that in a properly installed system the voltage only rises to the level needed to arc across the spark plug. If there is high resistance due to faulty plug wires, bad connections in the secondary side, wide plug gaps, etc, the spark will arc across at the weakest point of insulation. If my understanding is correct, the only down side of the HV coil is maybe more expensive.

The missing item here is a scope to properly measure the ignition voltage !!! You can have a high voltage coil ( marketing stuff) and ignition etc but if ya only have 7-1 compression etc it will only require the least amount of voltage. I used to teach a class on this using a spark plug into a glass chamber , i would use shop air and the spark would increase as i increased the air pressure . Thats what the old champion spark plug cleaners did when you looked into the glass and seen the spark, then turned the air pressure up to confirm that the plug would infact fire under compression.....
Most would be better off if they could just buy the decal (HI VOLTAGE) and put it on a stock coil !!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote