Thread: Paint warning!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
1928Pickuppain

Default Re: Paint warning!

I painted the frame of my jeep cj7 with TSP magic gloss black 2 years ago after first spraying the whole wire wheeled frame with phosphoric acid to convert the rust (iron oxide) to (iron phosphate) did three or 4 full wet sprays all over entire frame let dry fully its actually amazing to watch the rust convert. Sanding between coats except the last coat I then did magic TSC primer than the paint (2 full coats worth) bushed it on. It is an oil based enamel paint and drys to touch in 24 hours but takes well over a month to fully cure. It is hard as nails actually harder the stuff makes rocks look soft. My jeep is a work vehicle the back is converted to tool boxes and I'm out at job sites and on road daily I drive 55,000 miles a year and the old girl just passed 513,000 miles of hard use. so I have 110k ish miles on that frame paint job using tsc magic paint, mind you I live in New England were its battered by rocks and salt and I go 4 wheeling on the weekends and have not one spot of rust come through still looks like day I painted it. I was actually just T-boned in New orlens by an off duty cop in her cuzer while on a road trip last month crushed the side of my tub. Her crash bar hit my frame, frame crushed whole crash bar and front of cuzer but damned my frame paint is still in place just scuffed. It's wild stuff you just didn't Waite long enough before coating over it never really cured (curing and drying are two separate things) it and be dry not not cured I think it actually says on can after 24 hours or after being dry to touch Waite two weeks to top coat over. I have a full automotive paint shop in my mill and we do real paint jobs and that stuff holds up much much better to abuse than ppg 2 stage (at least on a frame).

Last edited by 1928Pickuppain; 03-28-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote