View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
Synchro909

Default Re: Woven vs molded brake linings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Greenhaus View Post
I'd like to upgrade to cast iron drums on my Cabriolet. Can I just upgraded the fronts or will it be necessary to switch-out all four drums?
I replaced only the front drums about 10 years ago and I installed the floating pin in the wedge upgrade at the same time. I figured that since the rear brakes do way too much of the braking, this would help get the fore/aft balance nearer to what is these days, considered correct.
The rears still locked before the fronts but at a club workshop on brakes, we had a braking test. My car stopped in a shorter distance than any of the others (with smoke coming off the rear tyres still). I have since added more braking to the front but haven't put them to the test again yet. I feel like they are better now than then but without a proper test, I don't know by how much.
My latest effort to get more braking to the front was to put a pair of the longer rear actuation levers on the front. That is a game changer.