View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #14
larrys40

Default Re: Brake shoe lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Except they changed to molded before the end of A production and not with the change to cast drums.

The type of molded lining was different than what we see today.

The real issues you need to be concerned with are centering and arced to the drum. It does not matter how good the friction is if you do not have 100% contact area. I believe most people do not have the tools to do this properly.

I personally believe most people should be buying drums with loaded backing plates already centered and arced to fit for max braking.

Good brakes are not cheap or simple to make happen. It takes special tools and great care.
Kevin
I’ll agree with you. As many of you know brakes are more work on A’s than most folks think and realize. I do my own and countless brake jobs for others. Randy does a great job for you guys who wish to buy them reworked for mounting which is a great thing, as most wouldn’t do the job as well as guys like Randy and Those like myself they do outside work for others. But then adjusting and setting them up is the final task that is just as important to making them work and perform.
Forget the dimension in the rods.

Rods disconnect adjust the wedges for a light drag and then back off a click or two . Then adjust the rear rods taking up the slack in the rear arm and cam to get Clovis in pin in. It will be a snug pull. Then do the front. Your front arms should of course be 15 degrees forward to start or you will have to fix the problem. Adjust the fronts removing and slack. Snug is ok as they will break in quickly. I use some initial pedal pressure to break them in quickly.

I do a lot of brake work and am know for doing good brakes. Attention to detail, ensuring proper contact, molded lining preferably bonded with cast iron drums and properly adjusted after proper comprehensive rebuilding should give you good results. It is not easy despite what some folks think.

I have a helper with a calibrated foot at specific intervals to help for adjustment.
All four wheels off the ground and checking all for drag. Equal grab and friction is key. Nothing wrong with a little more front emphasis. Just don’t overdo it.

Properly adjusted and dialed in you should be bringing it to a screeching stop.
I can smoke the tires to a stop on my 30 tudor and even my slant window town sedan screeches easily to a stop.

Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 08-19-2021 at 11:06 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote