View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

Default Re: What do I need to do to get a reliable engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
Aquired my '30 Tudor about 3 years ago. Drove it mostly around town every weekend. One day, sitting at a light something came apart on the crank...still haven't pulled that pan but there are big parts rolling around in the bottom of the pan.

Bought a 2nd engine from a guy locally about 3 months ago for $1,000. Ran good, but lots of blowby and a significant oil leak at the rear of the engine. Decided to go for a 90 mile drive last weekend, only made it about 25 miles. The first 15-20 or so were around town...then on a two-lane highway at about 50mph the "new" engine let go. Knocking at certain RPM and a significant vibration.

90% of my driving is around town, but I'd like to be able to do the occasional 100 mile trip at 50mph or so without leaving engine guts behind me. What do I need to do to get a reliable engine that will go at least 50,000 miles? That'd last me many years. It seems that people have trouble putting together a reliable "A" engine, or at least a few hobbyists do.

I think I want bearing inserts. Pressure oiling seems nice too. What else should I look for in a shop-built "A" engine? Are there any reputable shops near DFW, TX that build "A" engines?

First of all, don't pay $1,000 for a $100 engine. At least, you now have two to choose from to rebuild one. Just don't be like the clueless guy on that Hagerty Youtube video! That video is a good tutorial on what not to do, for the most part.
Talk to owners who drive their A's on tours about the modifications one to their engines.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote