View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: What's your average trip, and furthest distance traveled?

Back in '96, I built a '55 Courier basically from the ground up. There was nothing left of it but the frame, front suspension and the main body with the doors. Doghouse and drivetrain were gone. It took four years to do body-off frame repairs. Had to replace all floors, inner & outer rockers and rear fenders half way up. I went with a 223 and Fordomatic. It came from factory with 272 (162 hp) and Fordomatic. I converted it to 12-volts using '56 parts. Once I got the fuel system straightened out, it became a dependable ride, but it is a pile of garbage to try to drive especially if you want to take the highway. The front end develops road shimmy between 45-48 MPH, then once you get up to 60 MPH, the whole car shakes violently, till you get to about 65 MPH due to converter or driveshaft imbalance. And those old 710-15 tires make the car a death trap on a windy day. If you just wanna run around town at 30 MPH, its great and starts every time. Don't carry any tools in it either, besides jack and spare tire. I just use it for trash hauling and firewood hauling, etc.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote