View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Default Re: What's your average trip, and furthest distance traveled?

Our T-Bird club has monthly activities (usually to lunch, haha) and the round trip is most often under 30 miles, except the one at the end of this month (150 miles). In June some of the folks are headed to a big Fathers Day car show in Durango Colorado, about a 240 mile round trip.
Late last summer a few of us did a 1600 mile round trip to San Diego for a CTCI convention. Three restored T-Birds; two 55's, an E code '56, and an unrestored/original '57. The '57 split the water pump bypass hose in northern Ariz and was squirting from a radiator seam in southern Ariz. With a new hose and some JB Weld it had no other problems, unless you count the leaky o-ring in the fuel filler neck.
The E code '56 developed a transmission leak if you tried to keep it full, but never got below a qt low.
I drove an OT car with a floor jack in the trunk, and air conditioning.

When I first got my retirement project '55 I drove it 20 miles across town (dying at every stop) to a car show on opening day of the state fair, got a 2nd place ribbon and discovered the distributor was full of aluminum filings. Made it home somehow and pulled the engine out to replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antifreeze.jpg (91.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 110 in Phx.jpg (67.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg checking trans fluid.jpg (76.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sea level to 4000 ft.jpg (33.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg parking lot.jpg (66.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg at state fair.jpg (37.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote