View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #507
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Hello again! I miss the excitement of building the woodie. All the stuff to figure out and to source, just the mental exercise in general. I have only taken her to the mainland once but have now managed to rack up in excess of 1000 miles on the island. On the interstate I managed a top speed of 66 mph as verified by my speedometer app on my phone. It was a hot day and I was pushing it for standard pickup gearing, and it belched out a bunch of coolant, but I added some and kept it just below 60 for the next half hour and it was fine. I added the correct shroud and fine since. The good driving days for a woodie are coming to an end later this fall, but I'll be heading into town after a couple of shop hours building regular woodwork for customers. There are only 3 coats of spar varnish on the wood and I'm hoping to get a fourth with our dry Fall weather we are experiencing. There are some winter projects here for sure, such as finding matching front seats and getting them in for a recover. Currently it's a landcruiser seat for me and some unknown vintage bucket seat for Ma. Fortunately, the gorrilla tape upholstery has help up well for the summer. Here's a shot in Anacortes Wa. from that mainland trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie at anacortes.jpg (67.5 KB, 107 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote