View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
plumfat40

Default 1940 Ford been sitting since 1957

1940 FORD DELUXE TUDOR SEDAN

“OUT OF STORAGE AFTER 55 YEARS!!!!”

This 1940 Ford was purchased by George C. Wiley on January 13, 1945 as a used car while George was stationed in Big Spring Texas as a bombing instructor and pilot on AT-11 aircraft. At the end of WWII George and his family moved to Albuquerque New Mexico in there trusted 40 Ford. George continued to drive and mildly customize the old Ford, he swapped in a Mercury 59AB engine that worked well with the still present Columbia 2speed Rearend, he added rear skirts, a Sun Tachometer, Perry Coolant Filters, a Spotlight Mirror, Front Fog Light, Chrome Instrument Cluster, Woodgrained Fan, Thermometer, and Custom Plaid Interior. During the very early 1950’s there was a fender bender and the right front fender was replaced and a “CustomMetalflake” paintjob was performed. Around the spring of 1957 the transmission developed a problem and the car was given to his 16 year old son Ray Wiley, with the intention that they would get it repaired . Days turned to years and the old Ford just sat in his dad’s shop. I still cannot believe that this 16 year old didn’t at least take the car apart. Sadly in 1999 George Wiley passed, and during the estate sale his son Ray refused to let the old Ford go, so he brought it to his home garage in Colorado Springs and another 10 years past. At 70 years old Ray decided that he would never get to enjoy the old Ford and asked me to be the next caretaker. I agreed and insisted that when it was done that he take the car and cruise it around! I have left the car as found except for a fresh 59AB, a lowered stance, new whitewalls and a good cleaning and a sloppy repaint of the right front fender so it didn’t look too out of place.

I am honored to be the caretaker of this piece of history and intend to preserve its history while driving the wheels off of it!!!

plumfat40 is offline   Reply With Quote