Thread: got it running
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
daveymc29

Default Re: got it running

Spark advance all the way up, set point to 20 thousandths with the point rubbing block on the top of a cam lobe. (distributor cam) Reverse the timing pin and hold it in while you rotate the engine with a crank. It should drop in a very slight detent in the timing gear. Use a light and a mirror to be sure you are seeing that detent exactly in the center of the pin hole, then loosen the screw in the center of the cam(distributor cam) and rotate until the heel of the rotor is aligned so that the edge of the brass part is opposite the number one spark pickup in the distributor body. That should get you real close. Tighten the cam screw without moving the cam then start the car. It should start and as you wish to advance the spark a bit pul the spark advance down a few notches. On my cars when I find the TDC (top dead center) position I create three marks, two on the engine bolts that hold the timing gear cover on and one on the rear flange of the pulley so that all three marks line up. That will help me next time I want to time the car. When all three marks line up and the rotor is pointed to number one, I know I am close. I check it with a mirror and pen light, but there is some room for error as moving the spark advance should make the engine noise change noticeably as you move it up and down. I use white paint for the marks and find that to be a real time saver. Not for a high point car, but works for me on mine as they are drivers, not show cars.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote