View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Main bearing oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewgee View Post
Just got finished reinstalling my original 4 in my 30 A after replacing all seals and gaskets short of the head gasket. The old car was running great with no smoke but was leaking oil profusely from the rear main. Now it doesn't leak "profusely" from the rear main but still leaks. I cleaned all removed parts and surfaces and used a quality gasket sealer when I put it back together. Cleaned about 2 inches of sludge out of the oil pan and installed a new oil pump screen. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I may have done wrong (or could have done differently)? It did seem a bit difficult installing the rear seal. Sure don't look forward to pulling the engine again.

It appears you shave too much clearance between the rear main bearing surface and the crankshaft journal. This likely needs to be adjusted. Th engine will not need to be removed for this procedure, but you probably will wish you had done this when it was removed from the chassis. There are many publications that outline how to properly do this bearing adjustment procedure.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote