View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #28
Speedster Jeff

Default Re: Model T Sparkplugs

The engine does not suffer from blow-by because the engine was rebuilt when the car was restored. My neighbor was a machinist, and I spoke to him in-depth last week on what all he did to the engine when he restored it and the amount of work was quite significant. Probably the neatest thing he said was, when he restored it, fellow machine shop employees were much older than him and they had rebuilt many T's and other various "antique" engines when they were not antique, so he incorporated many items per their suggestions into the rebuild that they had figured out over the years to make the cars run better and last longer. One item that stood out, was that he made the holes in the block and head much larger, including the space between the two center cylinders (it is a larger opening like at the ends now) allowing the coolant to flow more freely and adding to the amount of volume. He also added a n.o.s. water pump at the time and many other internal items such as knurlling the new pistons after they bored the cylinders over so they would hold oil better, adding Chevy dippers to the rods, and the list goes on. I can drive the car down here in Florida in 95 degree weather and it doesn't get into the little circle in the motor meter unless I stop and leave the engine running for quite some time.

He had multiple cars, and since this car only seated two, it didn't get as much use as the others so it isn't really worn out like other T engines I have seen over the years. The shops were neat, and as a kid, I loved watching them grind crank shafts because I just loved seeing all of that mass going around and yet the item they were grinding was ending up round. It took me years to understand how they did that when I was really small. It was neat growing up around those shops, and there isn't anything around like that now. Everything is farmed out to somewhere else.

I drive it nearly every weekend unless the weather does not allow. We usually drive it at least 20 miles on Friday nights, and sometimes we drive it as much as we can until momma gets on my son and I about not getting enough of the chores done. lol
Speedster Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote