View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
JeffB2

Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I was wondering where you were. Remember we had a discussion here previously about the conversion. You said one would either modify the retaining pin (2027 in Ill) or Modify the spring retainer (2028) by narrowing its' thickness I believe.

And now you are saying to find a later shoe(s) with later webbing that will accept the self-adjusting components. Makes sense to me. But if the FORD has 11" shoes and the MUST has 10" shoes, will the cable be long enough for the earlier shoe?

I just noticed you say your social group has a FAQ which I failed to notice. Is there more info there?

FORD actually began install "in 1958, but there is nothing in the MPC about it or the SHOP MANUAL(S). MERC has the info.

Anywho, I began to think (not common) that a front disc swap needs the rear self-adjusters to keep the drums in proper adjustment so as not to over work the disc.

THANX!
You match the aduster and hardware kits to the shoes 10" to 10" and 11 " to " 11 taking also the width into account as well. This has become an issue with most 1955-59 Fords as finding drums and shoes for these has become a nightmare for many check out the link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688 Notice that a lot of the cars in the list are pre-60's that did not use self adjusters.The 1957-59 Ford 9" rear ends have been in demand for swaps for years in 50's Fords and have become pricey so in some cases swapping out the backing plates for a later Ford that you can get drums and shoes and hardware more readily might be in order.

Last edited by JeffB2; 03-08-2021 at 09:52 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote