View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 08:10 PM   #1404
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

It’s a welcome change.

A cool change that is. At the end of our summer we have had heat to the extreme, extreme for us that is. High 30’s and it reached 40 at times. That changed this week with temps dropping to the low and mid 20’s. We do get expeditious changes in temp, it depends from which direction the wind blows from. From the south it has flowed over the southern ocean which is cool and welcomed in our summer but not winter, and conversely from the north which is overland and over much desert, which is hot in summer but welcome in winter.
Southern coastal residence can experience up to a 15C in 10 or 15 minutes, like rather rapidly. In Sydney this is known as a “Southerly Buster” and in Perth “The Freemantle Doctor”. Here we simply know it as a garden variety name, “a cool change”.
After easter we know for sure that hot weather won’t be experienced again until next summer. Autumn is the popular season with great weather. Warm, still, dry and clear skies. We get a town full of tourists, mainly from Melbourne. These people come with their urban attitude and leave us with gafetti over walls and vertical surfaces. Winter is not loved. It can be overcast for several days at a time and we get the occasional frost. It can rain, which is welcome as long as it’s not enduring.
I have mentioned Easter. For those who do not know how easter is determined here it is. And we won’t know until someone tells us, or we read - it is the first Sunday which follows the first full moon, which in turn follows the equinox.

A winter phenomena is the southern Aurora Australias although more likely during the equinox. It is commonly known as the Southern Lights. Likewise in the northern hemisphere folk will see the Aurora Borealis, commonly known as the Northern Lights. I understand from the I internet both are more likely during the equinox and also exist during daylight hours but like stars can be seen only in the dark. I have only once seen the southern light and that was when I was a kid. Only once because I don’t get out of bed to check. I have never seen the northern lights because I haven’t been in the north at the appropriate time. I don’t plan on it either. I do like to see the snow but only in a glossy magazine.
From the internet I have copied a shot of the southern lights, shot in Tasmania, and here it is. Whilst this is quite spectacular it is not a daily event.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 07.43.11.jpg (19.8 KB, 5 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote