View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
VeryTangled

Default Keep your car shows, I like to drive mine!

Hi Everyone. I had a great drive today in my worn-out '35 Fordor Touring. I'm encouraging all y'all to get out and drive your cars (and trucks, and gun carriers, and diggers, but leave that Half-Safe where it is...) Logged about 175 miles.

Went to breakfast with my Mom and wife up in Urbana, MD. There was a '34 Fordor sitting in the Waffle House lot when we pulled up. Hmmm, I looked it over for quite a while while the laides stalked a table. I shoulda recognized it because it turns out it was my new friend Jimmy Y. and his teenage son, I wanna say Nathan, but I may be wrong.

I met Jimmy briefly at Chantilly, I sorta blew him off when I met him because I was having so much fun and didn't wanna discuss why his car was being bitchy. But I agreed to get in touch because he lives about ten miles from me. After the meet I helped him get is car started after it was crapped out in his garage. Turns out his fuel pickup doesn't go all the way to the bottom of his tank, so he can run out and still have fuel in the tank!

I said the the wife when I saw the gas can in his car after I started looking at it but before he'd come out, "Hey, his gas gauge works just as good as ours!" Jimmy has joined the V-8 club and my local Regional Group and I've seen him at both meetings since Chantilly. Cool coincidence. Nice guy, nice son.

After some eggs, and grits, and waffles, I dropped Mom back at her house and ran up the countryside to Gettysburg looking for a Military Surplus store I stopped in twenty years ago and the wife wanted me to take her back to. Great. Yes Honey, I'm sure we can find it. Well after a bit of searching, horay. It's on the south side of town on Steinwehr Ave. Closed because they have another joint on the square.

Along the way, in quaint Union Bridge, MD, we got a twenty-five cent car wash, that cost three bucks. A bargain vs. back home in the big city! Clean car, cool! Add some water to the rad and let's keep rolling.

Later as I was driving at about 35mph, I spied an open garage and pulled over. Had to listen to some squeaking from the passenger seat, but finally pulled down the driveway. Dude was out mowing, and he said he was hoping we didn't just drive off. He had a 33 and a 34 Chevy, and a 30 Model A tucked in the back. Had a nice chat. Car guy, even if a little misguided.

Then on the way back I caught a '32 coupe out of the corner of my eye sitting along PA 97. Didn't stop to check it out cuz it looked like I'd be disappointed at the 'mill,' but it looked like a steel body.

So, out and about today, I had three cool-car encounters. Burned a bunch of fuel. And some oil. And sadly put some coolant on the road too. But the wife and I had great fun. It was her longest ride in a flathead ever, from about 8am to 5pm with lotsa stops at orchards, and markets, surplus stores, and even a coin-op laundromat. Went three different times through the square in Gettysburg (which is a real pleasure on a Sunday afternoon, by the way).

My Dad had a buddy who'd say, 'There oughta be a law that everyone leaves their garage open on Sundays.' Saw four or five 'Vettes, Mustangs, and Harleys that way today.

Get 'em out. Fuel 'em up. Point 'em down the road!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-06-2017 at 08:10 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote