Thread: Cracked Block
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #50
History

Default Re: Cracked Block

So I took a grinder and ground off/out the mess the freshman welder made. Got back to the cracks and the new ones . Cleaned up a large area around that and slapped the JB Weld to it. I made sure it was clean with no oil or grease and had fresh ground metal for the JB to adhere to. I mentioned earlier in the the thread that I had read while searching that (I believe it was Tom W (with the train in his avatar) (sorry can't remember name) that said he did this while the block was under a vacuum and also used super glue first. I didn't have any super glue when I decided to roll but I did have a vacuum. I took my shop vac and attached it to the water outlet on top of the engine and fired it up. It was a good solid connection and I could actually see the JB Weld being pulled into the crack. . I didn't let it pull enough in to cause problems as it had thickened somewhat before I turned the vacuum on.

We'll see what happens but I don't think it will leak just sitting there. It will either be the jb deteriorates or expansion/contraction opens it up. I've read many many stories of people using this as I have and them saying it never failed on them. I did a gas tank several years ago on a little Japanese mini truck I have with a crack in the tank about 3" where the previous owner backed into something. It doesn't get moist around the crack and there is always gas in contact with it. Hasn't leaked a drop. Maybe petroleum is different than antifreeze in this regard. I had nothing to lose at this point so wish me luck.
History is offline   Reply With Quote