View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #39
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Thinking about selling the '34 Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
Mike Jr., love the car and the history.

Why not get a professional appraisal? That way you will have an unbiased valuation of the vehicle. Don't allow anyone interested in buying the car, or selling it for you tell you what it is worth. Once you have established a value, then move forward. As many have suggested, in the end, who you sell to might be more important than how much you get, but at least start from a point of knowledge.

Also, research through publications and online. Hemmings Motor News, Ebay (look at Sold prices, not list prices), other online option like Classic Car Trader, Cars for Sale, etc

Wherever possible look at 'Sold' price, many vehicles languish for years when listed at pie in the sky prices and will show up online again and again. Many prices are based upon invested capital rather than actual worth.
Thanks for the $0.02

The thing with this car, is the sample size is too small to find valid comparisons for accurate assessments. As for 'invested capitol'... Dad bought the car in 1963 for $600. lol Pretty much every other car back in the 60's, 70's and 80's that was in similar condition got restored. People use to bug the crap out of us at car shows to either restore it, or sell it to them to restore. Dad would just politely decline as us kids would slide down the fenders. lol

Many believe cars like these are worth MORE than a restored vehicle, as they are only original once. When was the last time you saw original, usable side curtains for a 1934 Pheaton? lol Cars like this are FAR more interesting to look at. They are also LOW MAINTENANCE and easy to clean! You can drive it around town without worrying about paint chips, washing is a simple soap bucket, and going to shows is a painless affair! It's EASY. Plus, a $35k car like this will draw more attention than a $100k fully restored vehicle someone spent all weekend going over with Q-tips!

Well marketed... The right person may pay over $60k for it at the right arena, such as Hershey or another big show. I think $35k is an absolute bargain. If it doesn't sell for that soon, I'll likely take care of some minor details, then concentrate on marketing it properly. As of now, this is the only place I've even mentioned selling it.

Below is another shot of parts in the garage. The steering wheel is NOS 1929 Model A. Sold it for $400, another guy wanted it for $400, then another offered $500, but it was first come, first serve. Last guy said he had been looking for one for years. Told the first guy in case he wanted to sell, but he had a car that had been waiting on one as well. I'm not out to make a killing... just to pass things on to their next caretakers at fair prices.

Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 04-19-2019 at 12:37 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote