View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
the shadow

Default Re: A Pre-War Midget restoration

The next hurdle was to take the seized original rear apart to fix it + figure out a new drive shaft as the original one was now 4” too short along with the original t-tube. Getting the rear apart was no easy task but I did get it apart. I was all surface rusted the carrier was a homemade spool set up, they covered the outer holes & poured lead inside to lock the carrier up! The gears ended up being a 4.55 ratio. I was able to clean up the inside, salvage the ring & pinion (wire wheel) & replace the bearings, pinion nuts & races in the center section. I will have to go into the rear again & replace the gears but for now it’s just to get it rolling. I had took to work & media blasted it earlier.
I hooked up with a fellow Hamb’r Pat aka “Da’Bomb” and told him I needed a stock model a dive shaft ,that I had bought locally & cut to length, re-splined to fit the v8-60 u-joint. Pat said no problem & I sent the shaft off to him with the u-joint. What nice work he did, affordable & a fast turnaround to boot! The old t-tube ended up being the same size as a piece of Schedule 40 pipe so I cut one down to the size I needed at work & welded it to the old t-tube rear flange.
More to come....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (57.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (38.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (157.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (73.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (78.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (123.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (40.5 KB, 21 views)
the shadow is offline   Reply With Quote