View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default 1937 Deluxe Turing Four-Door Sedan value?

As an infrequent visitor to this side of "Fordbarn" from my usual stomping grounds over on the Model T and A forums, over the years I have posted questions here about my 89 year-old friend's 1937 Deluxe Four-Door Touring Sedan (I hope I got all that nomenclature correct!) that he has owned since the late 1950's. He is the second owner. Following advice given here, we straightened out the brake problem and the steering with new ball joints, so the old girl is doing just fine these days. I wish I could say the same for my aged friend.
I ran into him the other day in a parking lot being helped out of a modern car and I asked how his '37 was doing since I had seen it last year. It's doing fine, he says, but he is considering selling it because he can't drive it anymore. Typical old age problems prevent him from safely driving the car. He asked me to investigate values for his car to determine a fair, realistic selling price.
Here's what I can tell you: It was repainted black many years ago, but the paint job still looks very good. Good shine and depth. The interior is original mohair. with the usual wear in the usual places, but still very nice. Only the front floor mat and cowl kick panels have been replaced. I believe it has the original 85 HP engine. I don't know how many miles are on the car, but I'm sure it's less than 70,000. I am in no way an expert in early V-8 Fords, but as far as I can tell, the only thing missing is the running board chrome/stainless steel side trim pieces. The running boards were recovered years ago (they still look good) and for some reason, those trim pieces were not re-installed. The car starts easily, runs well and is very well-mannered driving.
I know a definitive value cannot be exactly provided via a website, but what kind of range of value should my friend expect for his car? The survivor interior alone makes this a desirable snapshot of a time long gone. If needed, I can take photos of the interior and get further information from my friend. He just wants to get a fair price and be sure his car is going to a good home.
Marshall in Davenport, Iowa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished_1_resized.jpg (73.2 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg Finished_2_resized.jpg (77.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg Finished_5_resized.jpg (79.4 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg Finished_6_resized.jpg (80.8 KB, 108 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote