View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #77
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Day 4

A little shorter run today. I spent quite a bit of time in the morning reporting the previous day through the national parks. Total of 325 miles today, total of 1,431 miles so far.

Today started on my favorite kind of road that we'll be on clear to Alaska and beyond, a lonely two lane gently rolling and curving over the terrain. Not a lot of variety but still very pleasing and comfortable.

This is pretty much how it will look for the next several days.

We see this kind of sign at the beginning of the long stretches. I need them. One of my weaknesses is that I don't watch the gas gauge close enough.

The temperature warmed up so I could open the window again. It makes for a better angle for my wrist so I don't get the tendonitis.

Note the bugs on the vent window. They were pretty heavy. Rain-X didn't help much with them on the windshield.

Nor the front of the car.

Sometimes the little girly dog likes to just lay right at my hip and rest her head on my thigh.

When I was climbing a long hill I started to get a little pinging, which is very rare. I glanced over at the altimeter and it showed 500 something (meters - 1500+ feet). That's getting down to where the air is thick and causes that pinging. I may need to retard my timing a little. More likely, if it's only occasionally, I'll just nudge the choke out a little temporarily until it's gone on the climb.

Eventually, we arrived at Dawson Creek which is the beginning of the Alaska-Canadian Highway the will take us there.