Thread: backlash
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
Paul Bjarnason

Default backlash

I rebuilt the rear end of my '29 Tudor found upon assembly that the drive shaft will only turn with "fits and starts", like clanking. I measured the backlash as well as I could and determined it is at least .040. I think the herky jerky on turning the is due to too much pre-load, although I assure you that I used a torque wrench when I set it, to 20 inch pounds. I think I can back off on the pre-load but I am not sure what to do about the backlash which is excessive. To obtain the correct pre-load on the axles I have .012 on the left and .005 on the right in gaskets. Moving gaskets from the right to the left side will reduce the backlash. The minimum gasket size available is .003- so, I can move .009 from the left side to the right side and then see where I am. I have ordered some .005 carrier shims, but I cannot see where using those will help reduce the backlash, since I am already at close to the minimum on the right side. Putting a shim on the right side will increase backlash. Putting one on the left will not accomplish anything that adding thicker banjo gaskets won't. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote