View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #262
MALAK

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1_1950 View Post
I realize this is an ancient thread on the T170FT RTS. No where does anyone talk about shortening the output shaft for the torque tube adapter plate and universal. Are you all buying a kit that has the output shaft splined and cut and then re assembled back into the case? I understand that the torque tube, driveshaft, and radius arms need to be shortened. Any info appreciated on shortening the output shaft or does someone sell an already modified shaft? I have the 27% OD trans. Like to put it in my 30 Tudor.

Thanks, j
I am in the process of installing a T170 in one of my A's currently. I'm doing all the machine work/fabrication myself and documenting the process. Also, this trans will have the "Goldilocks" ratio mentioned on the Fordgarage website. This trans will have 3.01 first and 27.0% OD vs 3.25 first and 27.6%OD for the stock RTS trans. I'll probably have an extra output shaft or whole transmission (or 2) for sale, when done but not kits. Currently working on the trans outputshaft/torque tube interface. Once I get my numbers figured out I cut/re-spline the output shaft and while I have the mill set up I'll do at least a second and maybe a third shaft while I'm at it.
I did have a little bit of a setback (literally yesterday). I pulled the torque tube, driveshaft, and pinion, and well, see the pictures. I wasn't expecting to have to rebuild the rear end. It wasn't making any noise so I only expected to have to shorten the driveshaft.
For those wondering it is possible to create the "Goldilocks" ratio (I'll be documenting how) but I think I have the only 2 gearsets, on the planet Earth, to do it. ☺
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dent&Crack.jpg (39.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Dent.jpg (36.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Munch-A-Crunch.jpg (39.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg RingGearTeeth.jpg (29.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Ouch.jpg (50.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by MALAK; 05-10-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added Pic
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)