Thread: Tight engine
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
hardtimes

Default Re: Tight engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodpatf View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to fix a tight engine.

About 30 years ago my dad had the engine rebuilt on his 31 Model A. the engine had about 3 hours of run time, and then was garage stored and left alone until last year.

The first thing I did was drop the oil pan and replace some gaskets and install a new battery. All the oil in the engine came out looking pretty good considering.

Once that was done when using the hand crank we could get it all the way around, but it was slow going. The starter would ramp the engine up a bit more, but it couldn't get going fast enough to start (or so we think).

So, any advice on what could be slowing the whole thing down? Would popping the clutch on it do the trick?

Thanks in advance,

If any engine sitting for decades without prior...proper storage care, my first thought would be for lubrication. Lots of guys do not use assembly lube , that will stay where it should when engine is stored. Therefore, if it is possible, ensure that you PRE-lube the engine internals prior to starting...most important !
One other thing that I'd do, is that if/when you feel close to starting event, I use a spray of starting fluid , either in spark plug holes (prior to cranking) and/or in carb as you crank engine. This , IMO, is much preferable to putting raw gas into cyls and washing lube down cyl walls. Your choice. Good luck

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-17-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: ......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote