View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Newer engine internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
My engine had some vibration issues, so I took it to Rich Faluka in Skokie for a full rebuild. It had 600 miles on it from the previous build by somebody else. I have 40 over pistons, rods with babbit, and adjustable lifters. It does not appear that any of these parts have much value, despite being nearly new. Is it destined to be garage art, or am I just not looking in the right "for sale" venues?

There are a lot of things that have to be checked or fixed in a rebuild.

1. Crank Ground on center line. Stroke the same on both sides.

2. Rear flange has to be trued, when still set up on center line grind.

3. The flywheel housing HAS to be level, side to side, 9 to 3, and top and bottom has to indicate the same at 12, and 6 o'clock, but does not have to be the same as 9 and 3, but have to be the same at 12, and 6.

4. Flywheel after grinding, should be balanced with a new pressure plate mounted on the flywheel. Flywheel checked for nicks, dirt on mounting area.

5. All rods should be checked for Alignment.

6. All rods should be Balanced, and all with in 10 grams of total rod weight, if not less, before you start. If maybe one rod is say 30 grams more, you won't have much left when your done.

7. All pistons, should be balanced. All wrist pin heighth should be the same.

8. All valves should have hard seats, and they should all be level with the top of the block. New or reground cam. No excessive play in cam bearings.

9. Compression chamber in head, one different then the next.

All these things, or a combination of these things, can make things extra blurry in the rear view mirror.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote