Thread: Your Model A
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Jim M

Default Re: Your Model A

My mother and father came from WV and the last survivor of their generation was my Uncle George. I started visiting him about 20 years ago when I finally realized the treasure I was missing. One evening sitting with him while he related stories he was telling me about a Model A that a local farmer had got for a wedding present and not driven it for about 20 years. That sparked my interest and my Uncle and I went to visit him to see if it was for sale. He said he would talk to his wife and let me know as it came from her father. Didn't hear anything over the next months so thought all was lost. Fast forward about 5 years and I got a call from my Uncle saying the farmer said he would sell me the car. I new NOTHING about those cars and had no idea what it was worth but knew it hadn't been started for a LONG time. Did some research on Ebay and hitched my trailer on my pickup and headed from RI to WV.

Next day we went to visit the farmer and take a look. It was a 1929 Roadster Convertible with a rumble seat. Mice had done a job on the top in a box but the upholstery in the car and rumble seat was fine. After discussing the shape we settled on a price, pulled it out of the barn and loaded on my trailer. Headed home for RI and put the car in my garage. There it sat for another 4 years. I would call and visit my Uncle occasionally and he would always ask how the "A" was doing. I finally got possessed and really wanted to get it started before something happened to my Uncle. Engine was stuck so began putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders everyday for a couple of weeks and no luck yet. That's when I found this blog and someone suggested if I had a gravel drive to tow it very slowly and keep easing out the clutch. Next day we hooked it up to my old Ford tractor and started out my drive. After about 3 or 4 pops of the clutch the engine broke loose and we took it back to the garage. Put some new plugs in, a new battery, and checked the points. After about 10 seconds of turning over it popped and started to idle. With all the MMO in there it smoked like a bomb for about 30 seconds but settled down and purred like a kitten. Took a video of driving in and out the driveway and made a trip to WV to show my Uncle. Boy was I glad I did what I did as I lost him a couple of years later at the age of 96.

Car is now in Florida with me and after driving it some one of the rear wheels was wobbling so I started to investigate. One thing led to another and it is now on jack stands with nothing but an engine. We are in RI visiting our kids and grand kids but as soon as I get back it is my fall project to get it back together so I can enjoy the beautiful weather and flat roads.

I have another funny story about the car and one of it's previous owners but my fingers are sore right now so I will wait for another time....kind of like "Uncle Wiggily" the rabbit gentleman for those of you who know what I mean.......lol.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote