View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
dephelps12

Default Newbie knocking paranoia/ignorance

I recently became the 3rd generation owner of 1930 Tudor rebuilt in the 70’s by my uncle and grandfather. I learned a little bit from my uncle about it before he passed, but not enough of course. First I want to thank all you guys on the Ford Barn for all the great advice and how- to’s I have been slowly soaking up over the past year. I’ve managed not to ask any questions yet, since most every answer can be found buried away in these forums, but I’ve grown curious/paranoid about some of the noises the engine makes when I am driving. The Tudor has a newly rebuilt engine (2015) and new distributor that I have timed properly (I think). It starts fine and idles great. When I drive it, I notice a sort of throaty, knock- like sound when it is pulling, primarily when I get into third gear. By this point I have the spark lever all the way down, but if I move it back up the knocking gets more pronounced. It’s not constant, only when I am accelerating/increasing engine RPM. It doesn’t sound mechanical (metal-metal), but I just haven’t driven the car enough to know if this is something to be expected with the A. I’ve retimed a few times, checked all the points/ rotor gap, tried various carb mixtures, checked the exhaust. Am I trying to fix a problem that isn’t there or should I find a REAL mechanic? I’m know I can expect some well deserved scolding if I just don’t know what a model A should sound like, but I’ll risk it. -Doug
dephelps12 is offline   Reply With Quote