View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #102
Seabees

Default Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

Howdy boys, over the last few weeks I have installed an engine in a '29 model A snowbird and drove it around my field (that was fun!). Last week a club member called and asked if I could repair the seized up differential in his '30 coupe, so, reluctantly, I said yes. He had taken it to a local repair shop, they checked the rear end oil level, EMPTY! Uh oh. The shop didn't want to deal with a model A rear end, so I got the call.
I pulled it on to my trailer and took it home. Since the tires didn't screech pulling it on the trailer I thought I'd see if it would drive off. It did! I drove it in the shop, pulled the rear drums off and found the right E. brake was soaked with oil/grease. Cleaned it and the drum up, with brake cleaner, put the drum back on, filled the rear end with oil, and away she went! No damage to the diff! What luck for me! I've rebuilt a few, and it always takes more time than I think it should. And, I usually have to call Jim Brierley to help me out, since I tend to forget how to do things on occasion. Fixed the horn on this rig too, as it had a wire shorting to the conduit. Damn that's hot! I still have the blister! That poor rig needs a lot more work done to it, but, it'll have to wait until I get at least one of my Overlands running!
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)