View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #244
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyH View Post
Now that my chassis is almost finished, I'm gearing up to start cutting lumber. However, I have a coupla questions for those who built their own Huckster bodies: What degree of woodworking experience is required? Extensive cabinetmaking experience, or the ability to nail two boards together with no more than 75% of the nails bent over?

And a similar question regarding woodworking tools: Will I need an extensive selection of basic and exotic hand and power tools, or can I get by with just two sizes of hammers and a crowbar?

I'm curious about what I'm getting myself into!
Harvey
Harvey, answer to the first question is another question: What do you want it to look like? If you just want some wood on you chassis that holds together, then you can be just a "wood butcher" ( as my Dad use to call them) then all you need to know is how to saw and nail. But if you want it to look like a professional job, then you need the ability to do that. If you don't have this ability, then you may want to turn it over to someone that does or buy a complete body. (like I did because I was a "wood butcher)

Answer to the second question depends on which way you go based on the answer to the first question. If you want a professional look to it and you are capable to do that look, then you do need a number of specialized tools other than a saw and hammer. But to want a body without the professional look, a table saw would be handy along with a skill saw. Also a good power screw driver (assume you put it together with screws) would be handy.

So don't know if that answer your questions or not. But when I decided to use a huckster body on my rig, I knew I was not capable of doing in without some help even though I have has some experience with woodworking equipment (cut up fingers from long ago). I did look into buying a kit body that I would have had to put together but eventually decided on the complete body-got lazy.

Good luck with your project and have fun.
Fred K-OR is online now   Reply With Quote