View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #30
JOES31

Default Re: Old Points or Modern Points

Mike
In my opinion I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing the distributor plate back to the original. It basically didn't make any difference in the timing with my car. The old points are difficult to get aligned without modifying the point block adjustment hole. Maybe a reproduction problem. Heck the fiber washer that goes on the condenser wouldn't fit through the distributor. I have never seen such crap produced. By the time you get the gap set the points are no longer parallel. I can see why guys go to the modern plate or an electronic ignition. Electronic ignition had problem when we first started using them because of heat and they were not reliable over 8,000 RPMs. That changed about 20 years ago. There is a video by Les Andrews on You Tube and he goes through the proper procedure to fine tune the timing on the A. As far as keeping another distributor I think that would be a waste. There are many things that can go wrong. Maybe a set of points and condenser. Really now what can happen to a set of points? Well then again in a Model A?

Tom, I call it what it is. A plate that houses the gauges. It seem far from an instrument panel to me but I guess that's just semantics. Some clown must have been trying to tap the threads on the upper right and broke a tap off inside. They put a screw in the panel with a ground off nut to cover their mistake. It's going to be a tough one to get it out. EDM would work great but not a good idea to do that on the gas tank. I prefer to live a few more years. I discovered it when I removed the speedometer and AMP meter.

Does anyone make any parts for the A that actually work and install without fitting? I have learned why most of you say fix the old parts. Problem is parts like points you cannot refurbish. These repo parts are terrible. I have had several parts that I had to modify. What the heck is the problem?

Last edited by JOES31; 06-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote