View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Off topic ford alternator question

So... Since I live on an island and have had boats in my early years I picked up a boat from a friend as a project. It sat in the deep woods for almost ten years. Straight inboard, 1992 ford 302 'indmar' marine conversion with fresh water cooling including the manifolds. Among other issues, the alternator was seized. To get that 302 running and pumping water I freed up the alt and used it for just an idler. Well the new marine alternator arrived last week. The old one was a motorola and the new one has exact same terminals. The obvious large terminal 'B' for the battery, and two smaller ones 'S' and 'EXC'. I hooked up the wires the same as before but no charge. The boat is an '82 and has some signs of monkeyshines in the harness. Both of the small wires are purple and the leave the alt and enter a split plastic loom heading twds the rear of the engine. Upon investigation these two wires are spliced together into one purple wire which leads to a terminal block on the rear of the engine. So the 'S' and the 'EXC' terminal are joined at this point. The one purple wire is not hot with ign on or off. I don't see an external regulator, so thinking it's internal. If I abandon this common purple wire and start fresh, what do these 2 small terminals connect to at the end of their path? Battery? Ignition switch? I have done a lot of searching on the web to no avail. That 302 runs quite well now, and gets better each time I fire it up. Would be great to get it charging. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2854 shamrock at home 1.JPG (125.1 KB, 74 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote