View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: I have always wanted a stock Model A

When I first got into Model A's in 1966, roadsters were as scarce as hen's teeth around here in SE Iowa. Probably because of the harsh winters, not that many convertibles were sold new compared to "sunshine" states. So, even fewer survived by the time I started looking for a Model A. Lots of coupes and sedans, to be sure, but no convertible Model A's. In the "bible" of the day back then - "Hemmings Motor News" - on the rare occasion that a roadster was offered for sale, it was long gone by the time I received my 3rd class mailing. Roadsters were the holy grail among collectors, whose average age then was probably between 25 and 45 = they could still fit into a roadster. Funny, but ads in "Hemmings" offering parts that would fit both roadsters and coupes were ALWAYS advertised as being for roadsters = $$$$$$$$$$, i.e. the rear fenders were always "roadster rear fenders", etc. It wasn't until 1972 that I finally was able to get a roadster of sorts, albeit a very sad put-together long term project using two well-used '28-29 roadster bodies. But did I feel special with a roadster! FINALLY a roadster!
O.K. Fast forward to now. With the availability of fiberglass and steel roadster bodies, there are seemingly more roadsters around these days than ever before. Also, over the years if a barn contained three decrepit Model A's, one being a roadster and the other two being sedans, guess which one got hauled out and sold/restored? Yup! The roadster! All this explains why there are so many roadsters available now to collectors than there were when I started or even in the past 40+ years. In addition, because so many Model A owners are of advanced age, we are seeing and will be seeing more widows offering their late husbands' Model As for sale and many of them are roadsters, THE car of choice among restorers for decades. In other words, you won't have as difficult time finding a roadster or buying one as you would have 15 years ago. They still hold good value, so don't expect to buy a '30 Deluxe Roadster for the same price as a '30 Deluxe Coupe. You WILL still pay good money for a roadster of some flavor, but it will not be the frustrating bank account busting experience that it used to be and you WILL have many to choose from. Times have changed!
Therefore, if you have always wanted a roadster, hold out for a roadster, as others here have advised. Just lay off the pizzas and beer if you want to be able to fit into one. Be advised that roadsters have narrow door openings and non-adjustable seats. At your height, you should be fine. Big stomach or wide butt? Then you might have problems. The '28-29 roadsters have narrower openings than their '30-31 brethren, but not by much.
In terms of value, and all things being equal, the '30-31 roadsters traditionally sell for more money than the plainer '28-29 roadsters, because the Deluxe Roadster (1930-31 in the USA) is so flashy. While considering a roadster, keep in mind that they definitely fall into two separate categories: 1928-29 and 1930-31. Try to decide which style you want and concentrate on that rather than wading through every Model A roadster you find. You will otherwise be overwhelmed. No matter which style you pick, though, roadsters are a lot of fun!
Marshall
1931 Deluxe Roadster

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote