Thread: Clutch stuck
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Mike the Grump

Default Clutch stuck

Couldn't decide on the right word. Stuck seems best. The car has sat for a long time. It was last started probably 10 years ago. The clutch was stuck then.

Back in the day it was assumed that "eh, the clutch is rusted to the flywheel". Today I'm walking past it and thought "That doesn't make sense. If the clutch was rusted to the flywheel you should be able to depress the pedal".

An hour later I pulled the inspection cover and wiggled the pedal as much as possible. I observed the fork wiggling against the bearing hub which does not move.

My understanding is that the zerk in the bearing hub was to facilitate greasing the non-sealed throwout bearings. I have no idea if the current throwout bearing is sealed or not.

Every thing I've ever read talked about clutch and flywheel rusting together. That makes sense.

I've never read about the pressure plate rusting to the clutch. I assume it can but is not generally an issue as depressing the pedal would pop them apart.

Is it a thing that the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate would rust together to the extent that that pedal cannot be depressed?

Or, should I be considering that the bearing hub could be rusted to the input shaft? There is no visible rust.

I should say that there is currently no body. So. I'm not sitting in the car with my foot on the clutch. I wouldn't think that it would be so heavy that it could not be depressed by hand but maybe I'm wrong and just need more leverage?

Not doing anything with it this month. Don't want to rush into anything. Just trying to start putting a game plan towards getting it back together. This 3 year restoration was started in 1976.
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote