Thread: steering sector
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
Synchro909

Default Re: steering sector

It is clear that the 7 tooth steering box has less adjustments than a 2 tooth. One that is missing is the depth of engagement of the sector teeth in the worm. A half decent shop would make a set of sector bushes with a few thousandths of an inch eccentricity. By a process of trial and error, the bushes are rotated in the housing to get the best engagement. Once the sweet spot is found, a couple of drops of Loctite #290 will hold them there with no need to disassemble again. 290 wicks into the finest gap like magic.
The fit of the sector shaft in the bushes should be about as close as the wrist pins (the closest tolerance in the whole car). Also, make sure there is NO end play in the shafts, both sector shaft and the one with the worm on it.
Do that and you will have a good steering box. I did mine about 15,000 miles ago and still have only about 1" play which appeared soon after rebuild and hasn't gotten any worse now for a long time.