View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Can the TDC pin be off by 90 Degrees?

May not be the timing . I doubt that the engine would even run at all if the timing was set on the number two cylinder . If the gas adjusting valve (*GAV) is set way too lean it will cause backfire. Check the GAV , try opening the GAV on the choke rod a bit to the left to richen the mixture at the carburetor . As for timing, if the backlash at the distributor cam is on the wrong side when the cam screw is tightened it will effect timing . In other words when the timing pin drops in place , adjust the points cam so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip is pointing exactly at the number one spark plug connection in the distributor cap body with NO clockwise backlash . Backlash is free rotational movement in the distributor shaft , in this case . Wear increases backlash . Some may have as much as one half inch of rotational backlash , some may have little or no backlash . When the cam screw is tightened , NO clockwise backlash should be allowed to remain at the points cam . Counter clock wise backlash will have NO effect on timing because the distributor rides on the clockwise side of the backlash when present . when present . I always check and adjust points gap because gap effects timing .Ford specs for points gap is .018 to .022 . More gap advances less gap retards . I usually set mine at the wider gap of .022 .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote