View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Fire Extinguishers

I can tell you from personal experience when you need a fire extinguisher, you need it RIGHT NOW, not 30 seconds from right now (mine was in the rumble seat area). I had a cheap Mallory condenser give up on a very hot day (> 100 degrees) and cause the engine in my avatar roadster to start backfiring up through the carbs. This is when I found out that the oil soaked filter elements in K&N air cleaners burns really hot. Top of the hood sunk down about 1 1/2 inches, and burned some of the wiring off the engine as well as paint off the side louvers of the hood. This was over 100 miles from home.
I changed the condenser, jury rigged the ignition wiring and drove the rest of the way on our club tour but the 2 K&N air cleaners are in a ditch somewhere in Eastern Washington. I know many swear by these filters, I just swear at them.
With hammer and dolly, I stretched the hood tops back up to where they should be and had my buddy with a louver press punch louvers in the tops, repainted them and never put the sides back on. They are wall hangers now with blistered paint.
The fire extinguisher is now wrapped in a towel, sitting on the seat adjuster right behind me when I am driving. I also now just have cheap paper elements in new air cleaners, they at least wouldn't burn very long should something like that happen again.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote