View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
SofaKing

Default Re: Dirty Oil- PCV Fail?

I am compelled to agree that putting a pcv appears to have been a bad idea. As I mentioned above, it is one of the reasons I posted photos, as a warning to others. I argued in other threads why it seemed to be acceptable. I was mistaken. Too bad because it really worked for keeping fumes out of the cab. I was considering a method of drawing fumes out of the clutch housing but that would entail oil vapors from crankcase transiting the rear seal and clutch, not great. It appears that the road draft will do exactly the same as the pcv, just less efficiently, draw dirt from the clutch into the crankcase. In short, the fix is a different engine. I can mitigate with frequent oil changes. I am still open to ideas but I am all out of them.

Regarding thermostats, if I put them in I lose my temp gauge until they open. It is a quirk of my installation. The 59a has the temp fitting in the middle of the head so the gauge tube is too short to plug into the water pump on the 21 stud. It is just long enough to go straight into the upper left radiator return line where I put it. Sure I could add a modern gauge but I bought an old truck to drive an old truck with old truck equipment.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote