View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
1crosscut

Default Re: Roof and Visor questions 29 CCPU

Yes the rear corners do have a fold in them. I will take a close up picture of how I did mine for you after work tomorrow if others have not already done so. I think it is correct the way I did it.
Be super sure to have all of your joints, bolt and screw holes filled and sanded super smooth. Round off the sharper points of the wood at the rear cornes just enough to assure that they will not over time cut into the top material. No chicken wire! Just the head liner then the cotton batting and finally the top material. I took the time to feather the cotton batting at all the edges of mine so it would not show through the top material.
Any flaw in the wood joints etc... will show so take your time and do the extra prep work and chances are it will turn out well.
There is a definite pattern/grain to the top material so be sure to get it squared up front to back from the start.
Wait for a good warm sunny day to do your top. Lay out the material in the sun to warm up so it can be stretched and put some duct tape over your knuckles so save your skin when stretching the material. I didn't and wish I had.
The visor material is glued at the front and the rear. Again doing this in the sun is a plus.
All the kits that I have seen have the faux stitching in place already. If you are going to have it stiched as original you would need to get a kit that doesn't have the faux stitching already in place and have the stitching done after the cover is installed. I don't know of anyone offering the visor kits without the stitching. If you do find one I'd like to know. I used one of the kits on mine and it turned out ok. I eventually want to have mine done with real stitching. What botherd me most about the visor kit was the poor quality of the instructions / diagrams that came with the kit. You would think that the folks making the kits would put the extra time and effort into making instructions that were worth a hoot.