View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #35
bavArian

Default Re: Solution for audio system in model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG-ler View Post
@ bavArian, greetings first to Bavaria! (If I take that from the nickname correctly ...)

The first thing I would be interested in is which amplifier you were thinking of. I hadn't found a small four-channel with DSP. I already had a Mosconi Pico II on the screen, but even this one uses too much power. My voltage converter only manages 80W continuous load, 130W peak.
I would also like to use the two-way front, but I don't like the tweeters on the Dashrail. These are too obvious there. They don't stand out so much above the windscreen, I think.

You write, "a small kickwoofer in a closed box under the A-pillar". Uh, did you take off the footwell panel? I can only reach a construction height of 4.5 cm there. Since I'm already on the sheet metal. If I now screw an MDF multiplex board onto it, I might reach 6.5 cm. I have to look for an extremely flat speaker set. In my view, there is no way of thinking of a housing where you could still install it. I rather think that you even have to find a loudspeaker here that has a very hard suspension so that it is not damaged in "free-air mode". I just looked at the Peerless, but I have too little idea about it to rate it. So I have to read further and acquire further knowledge.
50-60Hz is "actually" not enough for me. As a fan of trance and techno, you also want to feel lower frequencies.

Fortunately, as far as the generator is concerned, I already have an alternator ... with 78 amps. Unfortunately, my previous owner did not make a 12V conversion, so I now have to live with 6V. Current without end, but voltage, ... well.

But I was just outside again ... Because my rear side panel is currently removed, I could see that there is another 20x30cm space under the window crank under the window, installation depth about 9cm. There would be room for an 8 "woofer. But again not without problems. Again, it is not easy to build a housing. Free air would be better here. And, ... even if you don't drive such cars in the rain , but at least when washing the car, all the water that runs down the window drips onto the speaker, not ideal.
Is there actually a window seal? I think I'm going to open a new topic.

You guessed correctly.
But you're thinking in the wrong way. Basically, it doesn't matter how much power the amp CAN put out, it depends on HOW MUCH of that power you use. So you should be looking at speaker with a high efficiency so you can realise higher volumes with the little power that you can draw. With the highs and mids that's not really any problem as they don't use much power at a "reasonable" volume anyway.

Unfortunately, the lower frequencies are a bit of a problem. High efficiency results in bigger diameters for the same "low" frequency. So you have to make a compromise, either in max. volume or low frequency range.
The consumed idle-power of a digital DSP-amp isn't listed most of the time, but I'd estimate it to be around 2 amps at 12 volts. Meaning that you'd have about 50 W for the rest of the system, which should be enough if you're listening at reasonable volume with efficient speakers.

The speakers I mentioned have a mounting depth of about 86 mm, they're just the first ones that came to mind because I'll be using them in another car as part of a 3-way-frontsystem where space for the low channel is an issue too.
So you'll either have to make a new sidepanel which reaches a bit more into the footwell area for both sides or look for a speaker with lower mounting depth. I don't know if you can find one though, back when I searched around for the other car that was the only speaker which was reasonable in size AND prize. I've tested them a while back in makeshift wooden boxes with about 2,5 litres net-volume, and they were awesome, but that was in a 3-way-system. I don't know how good they work in the mid-frequencies.

I can understand the "need" for low frequencies, I'm listening to a wide range of Classic Rock all the way to HipHop and Trance/EDM so I like a good subwoofer too.

A subwoofer in the trunk MAY work if it's connected to the interior, if you're talking about the add-on trunk on luggage racks that's not an option. You'll entertain the pedestrians but you won't hear much inside, let alone "feel" anything.
You would have to try out how much can be heard through the upholstery in the A. Don't expect much though I guess.

If you really want to install a sound system in your A, I'd recommend you to register at www.klangfuzzis.de and ask around if someone has an idea on how to do it there. It seems that your standards for audio reproduction aren't "basic" if you mention Mosconi-amplifiers. There are some absolute car-audio-freaks in that forum, maybe they have a good idea. I doubt that you'll find someone with experience for this car though.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote