Thread: Oil weight
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Default Re: Oil weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
IMO, and from what I have read. Some of this is debatable.

Non-detergent multi grade oil was not available in the 30s. Sludge filth settled out and also adhered to the surfaces of the oil system, so the circulating oil somewhat stayed cleaner. Periodic maintenance/service including dropping the oil pan and removing the valve access cover to clean out sludge and the oil pump filter. Issues arose if the shade tree or typical owner for the A skipped or did not know this, and this service was not performed. So non detergent oil is ok, as long as you periodically service the oil pump screen, valve access area, and the oil pan/bottom end. It may even be preferable since the filth settles out and not as much filth is constantly circulating in the oil.

For multi grade detergent oil, all the filth stays suspended in the oil. So unless running an oil filter, all of what is in the oil is constantly being circulated through the moving parts including the Babbit or Inserted main bearings. This is why since my motor is does not have an oil filter I prefer to change every 500 miles. Oil is cheap compared to the cost/hassle of rebuilding a motor.

So accordingly I'll assume from the sound of your response you use non-dispersant. Thats your choice.

I'll agree oil is cheap insurance, doesn't take long to change it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote