View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thumbs up Re: What would identify a Brookville 1931 Roadster Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
In the petroliana hobby, reproduction or 'new' mfg. gas pump globes are supposed to be marked at the bottom of the globe face or lens by law, either dated or marked 'licensed product' or 'reproduction'.

A number of the more rare globes are flooding into the country today, newly made, from China and they have even fooled the experts on occasion, the novice quite often. They are doing the same with all sorts of rare American coins and especially the Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. You gots -ta be super super careful they are getting harder to spot, and the fakes get better every year. Gold coins? Forget it lots of fakes out there.

Maybe they need to badge the Brookville Roadster in a similar fashion somehow as people are going to be fooled.
Jeff, I am going a different way on that mindset. Any reproduction part is accepted in Fine-point judging without any point deduction providing it is indistinguishable from an original component. It is up to the Adjudicator to know the difference between the two items before a deduction is given. I say the same thing should apply between an original and reproduction body.

To take a few comments in this thread a tad further, the original question is how do you tell the difference between original and repro. It was mentioned Seat Riser and pans are different. While that is a very true statement, I will say that the majority of original Roadsters that I have seen restored have repro floor pans and seat risers installed. If we went by Joe's telltale of incorrectly shaped seat risers, I would expect many original Roadsters would be incorrectly identified as a Brookville body.

To confuse the masses, several years ago we actually had Brookville build our customer a Roadster using an indented Firewall that we had restored and sent them. I also had Brookville leave the floor pans out. We drilled holes in all the spotwelds and either installed rivets we bucked & waffled, or added weld and cammoflauged the ends to look like a factory rivet. We reshaped the pans and the doors in a Pullmax, and to my knowledge, no one to this day has ever questioned if that body was anything other than super nice original sheetmetal.

We have also reworked reproduction fenders and body aprons where they looked just like original sheetmetal. Others have done the same thing, so if it will pass the muster in Fine-point adjudication, then it should be acceptable including in the sale of the vehicle providing the Seller does not use deceit in the sale.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote