View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
larrys40

Default Re: head that won't budge

I agree with Marc that getting the head puller from snyders will be the best move for a really stuck head. With all due respect to some heads that are really stuck good aren't coming loose with the engine compression. Been there.. done that, tried that.. it was never successful. I have pulled many heads with splitting the head gasket for protection to the head and block with multiple large screwdrivers starting at the corners and being careful not to get close to the valves. Using pry bars and large tire irons as things progress. I have even used an engine lift in eye bolts for pressure without success.

Soaking the head studs with a good penetrant like Kroil, gibbs, some like atf and acetone, etc is imperative. Be patient, methodical, and watch your engine valves, etc on the passenger side. If you have someone experienced at this I would get them to help. When you get it working up I have some wood blocks ( as Jackson noted as well) I use placing them front and back to help hold it up to keep from slipping back into place as I work it up over the front studs.

This summer our start up vehicle ( our annual start up party car that hasn't run in 25-50 years) needed the head pulled and it about fell off. Easiest that I've ever had. Although one of the toughest was a restored car that had been on the road a while and even pull from the engine lift didn't do it. The head puller is a real blessing. I would get that even though expensive ( or borrow one) as you will be glad you are using it.

soak it..soak it..soak it!
Best of luck!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote