View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
Joe K

Default Re: crank pulley issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Gang, when the 2-piece pulley came out (or at least when I became aware of it), it was ballyhooed as being a huge improvement for replacement. It seems to me you guys are saying the two-piece design actually presents its own issues for removal. Am I reading this wrong?
The two piece pulley with the "dog clutch" style joint MOSTLY can be removed without raising the engine. Some engines can be "down front" due to wear, compressing of the springs, conversion to rubber donut, "float-a-motor", or front end damage.

The two piece pulley with the threads SHOULD be able to be removed without raising the engine - except the two parts tend to rust together and resist separation. So, a nice idea which was kind of self defeating in actuality.

I have had a two piece dog clutch style "turn" and separate. This what happens apparently when you get your arm tied up in the starting crank and thereby inadvertently "undo" the ratchet nut - besides hurting yourself. With the ratchet nut undone a bit, the dog clutch style can "slip," and you may not even know it.

So even the convenience of this two piece pulley has a downside.

Loctite helps...use blue for this.

The slipped ratchet nut MAY be the reason I didn't break my arm. Just a nasty bruise.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-13-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote