View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Flathead "spark knock" ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks Jim...you're the expert, however, may I suggest you try the 'guts' of a '68' distributor in the clients crab; I think you'll end up pretty damn close to what he wants?
I 'think' it's not the total advance degrees that's the problem, rather, there is minimal spring tension on the weights in an 11A assembly; consequently, they get pretty well full advance just off of idle. The 68 assembly definitely has heavier springs; this has the effect of slowing down the curve.
You've got all the testing gear so I'm keen on hearing the outcome; me, I'm a rank amateur at this stuff, just my experience in trying to eliminate/minimise this horrible noise!!
Damn it Brian, i am out in the shop this afternoon and read your post . I had planned on brazing up the advance limits on the advance retard ring and grinding it out with a dremel.
Walked to our core cab and grabbed a Model 68 bag ( cleaned and ready to assemble ) . Looked over the entire unit , case has been overbored to allow more ( or less advance movement) will trash this one . Measured advance retard ring and there is some difference . Will use the model 68 ring and advance unit. Measured the spring tension (spring just begins to move) 4 oz on 11A and 12 oz on the model 68 !! Limit slots are close ( approx .0005 difference ). Assembled and tested on machine , damn it its 8 degrees just like the customer wanted !!!! Normally we would charge a few hundred dollars for this service but this one is free will ups back to customer tomorrow.........rbg >>>>>

Thanks Brian..................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3409.jpg (44.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3410.jpg (47.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3411.jpg (54.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3412.jpg (45.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3413.jpg (44.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3414.jpg (84.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3415.jpg (54.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3416.jpg (44.7 KB, 38 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote